HUBBARD COMMUNICATIONS OFFICE
Saint Hill Manor, East Grinstead, Sussex
HCO POLICY LETTER OF
30 May 1970
In the period up to 1966 we were plagued by an occasional obsessiveness to ADD to any process or policy. Additives made things unworkable.
After 1966 when I left the post of Executive Director WW, a new condition set in. Checksheets, processes, intensives, grades began to be CUT DOWN.
This we can dub a CUTATIVE impulse to coin a word.
So persuasive were its advocates that even I was persuaded to agree to some points of it so you need not feel bad if you were gulled into buying the idea of shortening things in order to produce a quicker result.
No one really saw where the trend was going.
In 1970 a survey I have just completed has shown that this effort was so complete that the following had been broadly accomplished:
A. Training no longer included enough Scientology materials to make an effective Scientology auditor in many places.
B. Grades had been shortened from 50 hours 0 to IV to 2 and a half minutes.
C. The End Phenomena of grades and processes were discarded.
The end result has been:
1. Few skilled auditors.
2. Shrunken and struggling Scn orgs.
3. A field that is disappointed in results - for they think they have had grades and haven't.
4. People coming into Advanced Orgs to be cleared who have NO lower grades actu-ally run and so they can't make any upper grades.
In effect Scientology was thrown away. From total workability it was cut down to occasional result.
I saw the first impulse of this in an executive long since dismissed from Saint Hill as a constant overt no-case gain case who agitated constantly to remove tapes from the Saint Hill Course. As 90% of the data on the SHSBC is on tape I merely thought he had gone over to the enemy and ignored him. Some others, however, had the same idea and started labeling basic books and bulletins "Mere Background Data" or saying "We don't use that now" or "That's old and you only look at it for interest". Thus the laws of listing and other phenomena were thrown away.
Recently I found the reason Case Supervisors failed is that they just don't know "The Original Thesis" and "Evolution of a Science" or "Scn 8-80" or "Scn 8-8008". WHEN I DEMANDED THEY STUDY THESE BOOKS THEY BECAME CAPABLE OF HANDLING CASES. They did not know what they were handling - the mind - and so how could they be sensible in ordering what was to be run on a case?
Back in 1950 we used to have a small bunch of goony birds, ex-psychologists, ex-lunatics. They were constantly demanding a 2 second action that totally cleared someone. Be-hind this was an inability to concentrate attention or even to work. These were people striving for total effect instantly. Yet they couldn't run with reality on any process heavier than "How are you?" and they never saw a wall - they saw a mock up of it!
So the impulse of DO IT ALL NOW NOW that destroyed any sanity of psychiatry is al-ways around.
A student with a one item checksheet who does it in one minute is the ideal course to such.
A preclear run for 2 and a half minutes to total top grades becomes an ideal auditing session to such.
Such things just aren't real. And such unreality got into the lines too hard and is being escorted right back out right now.
The following policies are in full force and are to be backed up fully.
1. Course checksheets may not be cut, edited or reduced after a fully approved checksheet is issued for use on any course.
2. No grade may be awarded for which all processes of that grade have not been run and where the end phenomena of that grade is not attested to singly and fully by the preclear before an examiner.
3. Anyone found relegating basic materials to unimportance, by reason of age or volume is to lose his post and certificates.
4. Any statistic claimed which is achieved by downgrading materials or grades or falsely pretending an end phenomena has been achieved for pcs, or skill by auditors shall result in the dismissal of the division head presenting it.
5. No suppressive person with a fat ethics file and no case gain may hold any execu-tive position in a Scientology org.
If you in any org or franchise are having any field or financial trouble you need not look further than errors pointed out in this Policy Letter.
"Dianetic Triples" awarded after 1 and a half hours of processing, "multiple declares" after 10 minutes from 0 to IV, using checksheets from which all basic material has been cut, the failure to realize gains and abilities and success have to be worked for to be true, are at the bottom of any trouble any org or franchise is having.
Beginning with the Pol Ltr of 10 May 1970 a more honest era has began.
Scramble around and put it right.
Deliver Scientology not a Cutative.
L. RON HUBBARD